MAPLE STREET CHAPEL
The first building of The First Church or Christ was built at what is now the northeast corner of Main & Maple Streets.
Maple Street Chapel was dedicated on
May 29, 1870,
first town meetings for the Village were held in the Chapel.
The year is 1994. Two years earlier, a storm brought down the cross from the top of the steeple. A new Celtic cross, 6' tall, complete with internal lightning rod, was installed.
In August of 2017 we were grateful for that foresight, as the steeple received a lightning strike. Many little devices in the fire & burglar alarm circuits were fried, but the lightning rod absorbed the full force of the bolt and no damage was done to the structure.
This document, dated 1868, is probably from the original building.
Oldest picture of
Oldest pictures of
Photo taken in 1907. In this
picture and the next one are the
Photo taken in 1912, facing south. The two-story house to the right of the chapel, covered with stucco, was the George Hiel house, purchased by the Village and torn down in 2003. At the right edge of the picture is the house which is now the Lombard Historical Museum.
This picture probably dates to the 1920s or 1930s. The kerosene lamps have been replaced, but the original organ is still present, and the altar is still in is original configuration.